Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Population: Crazy.

A month ago I exercised my critical thinking and told you that there was way more to this Penn State scandal and gosh darn it, turns out I was right again!

By the way, I hate myself for referring to this as a scandal.  Can we stop it with the scandal talk?  This has been upgraded to a full-blown shit storm.

I also told you that there was nothing that could be done to give back those boys' lives.  However, just like with families of murder victims who can't get their loved ones back, there is some form of justice that can be carried out to give some sort of closure.

The NCAA swore that today.  They promised me that they were going to deliver 'unprecedented' punishments against Penn State.

Per usual, the NCAA let me down.  I guess it's really my fault.  How many times can I get my hopes dashed to pieces before I stop caring all together?

The punishments?  No bowl games for four years.  Which, really goes hand in hand with the stripping of scholarships because you aren't reaching bowl games with no talent anyways.  Penn State was also fined $60 million.  To me and you, that's a pretty big matzo ball.  To Penn State?  They wipe their asses with that kind of paper.

The thing that really irks me is that Penn State is being forced to vacate all wins since 1998--which was the first time that people covered up for Sandusky.  You know what happens when the NCAA vacates a school's wins?  The record books won't change to show that the other school won, they will just be blank.  They get ERASED.

How convenient it must be for the NCAA to just erase all their problems when the rest of us have to live with ourselves every waking moment of the day.  We all wish we had some magic machine to take us back to the moment when shit first happened and just have it all not happen in the first place but that shit doesn't exist.

I've already told you that there is nothing that can be done to take back what happened.  How do you try and fix what happened?  I'm not really sure.  I don't even know if you can.

But if you make an attempt to, you have to do it way better than this.  You just have to.

I didn't need the Freeh report to tell me that this place was evil.  I could see that for myself.  I sat here this morning and got really bummed out at the NCAA for not burning Penn State to the ground.

How do you start to make this better?

For starters, give them the 'death' penalty.  For five years.  No football program, whatsoever, for FIVE years.  If the new Penn State leaders want to come out and say that this isn't about football, it's about the victims and their well-being, prove it.  Put your money where your mouth is.  Don't play football for five years and reflect on what you've become.

What went on at Penn State was unprecedented.  It was unprecedented evil.  A total lack of human compassion of every single level.  Nobody chose to do the right thing from top to bottom.  The punishment could never fit the crime in this scenario but you could do a lot better than that, NCAA.

I can't think of any scenario where an institution of higher learning failed to serve their purpose than Penn State did.  This is it.  This is the mountain top of failure.  You can't let the worst of the worst off with a wrist slap.  You just can't do it.

This has just been a terrible month for the human race.  I'm embarrassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment